Recycling: why should you?
Many people think that recycling does not bring much difference to the world and that individual efforts cannot change much. I was one of them in the past. However, after I educated myself on the issue, I was able to see that no change is too small and we can all contribute towards a better future and the dream of circular economy. Here is why we should all start recycling today:
- You can make a bicycle out of 650 recycled aluminium cans.
- Each ton of recycled paper can save 17 trees, 2.2 cubic metres of landfill space and 7,000 gallons of water.
- It is possible to recycle one sheet of printer paper up to 7 times.
- It takes up to 500 years for plastic to decompose.
- Glass is 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without loss in quality or purity.Color sorting makes a difference, too.
- Over a ton of natural resources are saved for every ton of glass recycled.
- If you recycle one aluminium can today, it can be made into a new can, get filled and be back on the shelf in just six weeks.
When you read through these fact, you begin to realise that we can all contribute towards a better future of our planet. Remember, the most important thing is to reduce the amount of waste that you produce: choose paper bags instead of plastic in the supermarkets, or when possible, no bags at all; bring your water bottle with you everywhere; choose paper packaged products instead of plastic. This way we can save energy and natural resources, reduce air and water pollution and greenhouse gases.
Stay tuned for more tips on living conscious lifestyle in the next posts.
Sources and references: